Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password entropy

From: Roger Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:01:06 -0500

At 12:05 PM 7/24/2006, Basgen, Brian put fingers to keyboard and wrote:
This isn't going to be strong when combined with regular words. "At the
moment" is 13 characters, at 3.5 bits of entropy, gives us 45.5 bits
total.

OK...so how long can I expect this phrase to last?  Are there tools or
spreadsheets that allow you to evaluate various combinations?

As I said, I'm not looking for unbreakable, just long enough that the
phrase is likely to survive long enough that our regular passphrase
expiration will make it useless.

--
Roger A. Safian
r-safian () northwestern edu (email) public key available on many key servers.