Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password entropy

From: Roger Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:04:15 -0500

At 05:28 PM 7/20/2006, Basgen, Brian put fingers to keyboard and wrote:
Right, this is where I think he is being misleading, because his
equation doesn't allow for an entropy variable. You are right in that is
how he is using it, but I don't think he is being accurate via the
assumptions he has made.

Just to be clear, I would use this tool to provide guidelines.  It's
a reasonable representation for various scenarios or character set, and
length, but I'm not sure it's really striving for complete accuracy
in every situation.

--
Roger A. Safian
r-safian () northwestern edu (email) public key available on many key servers.