Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IPS

From: Dave Koontz <dkoontz () MBC EDU>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 08:43:31 -0400

We just purchased an ISS Proventia device that will handle our core and
edge, as well as their server agents.  While comparing ISS to Tipping Point
we found them very close in performance and features.  We liked the added
protection and auditing capabilities of the ISS server agents.  One concern
we had with Tipping Point was it's inability to natively monitor
non-standard ports, and while you can add custom ports in TP, you are
limited to 16 per protocol.

They offer educational pricing and we found their pricing right in line with
Tipping Points, making the decision easier for us.

---
Dave Koontz
Associate Director CIS
Mary Baldwin College