Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Rootkit discovery tools

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:29:33 -0400

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:42:14 EDT, Caroline Couture said:
How would do this kind of scan? Would you have the computer on the network and
scan the ip with nmap or do something else so the computer is not live on the
network?

I'd configure their port 'down' at the switch end of the cable, and then unplug
the cat-5 at the system end, and replace it with a crossover cable connected to
a laptop that's been ifconfig'ed to appear to be on the subnet the computer was
on, and then launch the nmap from the laptop.

Bonus points if you use a VLAN solution to put them on a different VLAN with
the same IP address to save having to make a house call, and/or if your laptop
solution leverages ARP and/or ICMP Redirect to either autoconfigure itself
onto the correct "subnet" or snarf up the IP address of the default router...

If you're still using thinwire rather than cat-5, your jump bag should
have the pieces needed to build a 2-foot-long thinwire network - I keep
an old 8-port stupid hub (you want a hub, not a switch, here) with a
thinwire uplink port for just such occasions. Every time I think we've
stamped out thinwire campus-wide, I get proven wrong in an encounter
with ancient lab equipment on a homegrown private network..