Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: host based firewall for windows 2003 server?

From: Graham Toal <gtoal () UTPA EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:54:19 -0500

I used to use Black Ice, now Black Ice Defender, bought by ISS

When I ran an ISP several years ago, we had so much of our support
time wasted by customers who had Black Ice, who were always calling
in complaining of being hacked, when it *always* turned out to be
false positives.

Admittedly this was 3+ years ago, and with luck they'll have
improved by now...   what was your experience of its false
alert rate?  (Especially among the more clue-challenged users
rather than sys admins who might be able to tweak it to reduce
false reports...)