Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Sensitive Data Self-assessments

From: "Cheek, Leigh" <lcheek () UTK EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 08:38:59 -0400

Hi Carolann,

In compliance with the Tennessee Financial Integrity Act, the university
must conduct a comprehensive review of internal controls over a four
year period and report any material weaknesses to the State and report
any material weaknesses to the state.

Each year the university performs a self-evaluation of internal
accounting and administrative controls to comply with the Act. Audit
prepares a web questionnaires on two topics a year with all eight of the
following topics reviewed over a four year period:
(1) equipment, and (2) account receivable.
(3) personnel/payroll, (4) inventories,
(5) computer usage, (6) money handling,
(7) procurement of goods and services, (8) grant and contract
administration,

Last year, we our two topics were computer usage and money handling. We
asked about sensitive information at that time. A copy of the our 2005
self-assessment with answers can be found at
http://audit.tennessee.edu/pdf/sas2005.pdf

Other years' self-assessments are listed at
http://audit.tennessee.edu/sasindex.htm

This questionnaire will not be exactly what you are looking for, but
questions 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 35,
65, and 66 will give you a place to start.

Thanks, Leigh Cheek
(865) 974-4420