Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: 3rd Party Spam Services & Data Confidentiality

From: "Pace, Guy" <gpace () CIS CTC EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 13:33:56 -0700

I concur with the sensitive data concerns expressed in other posts. In
addition I'd wonder, from an institutional standards and processes
position, how a college's department was able to get a DNS MX record
placed without some kind of thorough security and oversight review? Did
this process not raise a red flag in IT or IT security? How are
significant DNS changes (and, I would call MX records significant)
processed and approved?

And, I'm not pointing a finger, just offering some rhetorical questions
you might use in your homework. I hope they help.

Guy L. Pace, CISSP
Security Administrator
Center for Information Services (CIS)
3101 Northup Way, Suite 100