Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ITIL in Higher Education?

From: "Walter E. Petruska" <wpetruska () USFCA EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 17:39:03 -0700

We've been slowly implementing an ITSM strategy here at USF.  So far,
we've run 8 key IT staffers through the ITIL Foundations certification
course, and we've got another sixteen going through the Foundation
certification courses this week.  Our Problem, Incident, Configuration,
and Change Managers have been identified, and have developed their own
USF ITS-Specific high-level process map for their areas of ITIL.

If you dissect the ITIL guidance for security- you'll find that it is
'embedded' within each sub-area of responsibility.  Therefore, I view my
role in our ITIL implementation as a coordination role- ensuring that
everyone else adopts similar and compatible security postures regarding
user privileges, access to sensitive/private/confidential data, etc.
I'll also pick up the extra ITSM title of 'IT Service Continuity
Manager' - as Disaster Planning, Recovery and Service Continuity are
core to the ITSM implementation.

The attention given to security- REAL information systems security- by
ITIL is negligible.  There are many ITIL/ITSM references which point to
the use of other important 'best practices' and standards.  Therefore,
ISO 17799 is the way to go for security- as well as following guidance
in CoBit.

You can also find ITIL documents (which support the rollout of an IT
Service Management system) under their new standards nomenclature: BS
15000 (British Standard), and ISO 20000 (International Standard).

I also hope to find some other Universities who are working on ISO
17799...

Walter Petruska

Project Director & CISO

University of San Francisco