Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SSN file scanner (C source available)

From: Gary Golomb <coach () GWU EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 11:58:04 -0400

What we're striving to build here are LAN-capable tools with
centralized
logging and unattended operation to support that effort.

As a follow-up to my previous post... Our use of ftimes was packaged
inside a script that revolved around the use of webjob for expressly
this purpose. It ran unattended (without involvement of the security
office), compressed and GPG encrypted the results, and uploaded them to
a sever managed by our group where the data would be processed by
server-side scripts. See:
http://webjob.sourceforge.net/WebJob/

We audited several hundred servers university-wide for sensitive
information (for data classification purposes) and security-relevant
configuration details. I've been trying to add this type of
functionality to a different tool I wrote a while back
(http://home.gwu.edu/~coach/GWIT.htm), but at this point, the
ftimes/webjob duo is better IMO.

-gary

------