Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Your thougts about smart phone access to privileged accounts?

From: Chris Green <cmgreen () UAB EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 09:47:15 -0500

On 5/2/06 4:34 PM, "Dugan, Darin D [EIT]" <dddugan () IASTATE EDU> wrote:

MSFP policies can require a device password and
automatically wipe the device when a number of unlock failures have
occurred. In additional, remote wipes can be manually initiated at the
server level, enforced at next synchronization.

We're in the middle of doing that. Make sure to test that the devices you
are using actually do remote resets.  I don't think this is an issue for
newer devices but older windows phones don't seem to be working according to
the group that's playing with that stuff.

I think the risk of what's stored in your email is much more likely to be
harmful with these devices than the use of the device itself for remote
access.  As others point out, they may not be able to support all the things
you require for remote access such as VPN.
--
Chris Green
UAB Data Security, 5-0842