Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Websites for Patch Management Issues?

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 08:42:30 -0400

Tim Lane wrote:

Hi there,

Is there anyone aware of any good websites that cover problems with MS
Patch Management?  Increasingly we are finding problems with MS patches
we have applied.

Some testing has been introduced but does not cover anything, a website
that covers operational issues or bugs/fixes with patches themselves
would be helpful if anyone knows of one or more.

Tim,

I find the microsoft.public.windowsupdate newsgroup helpful. The
signal to noise ratio is sometime low but significant patterns
show up pretty quickly. The last two times there were significant
problems with patches, I could tell the next day by reviewing posts.
I use the posts as one component of deciding whether to approve
patches for distribution through our WSUS server and it hasn't
failed me yet.

Also helpful are the microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvc,
microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services, and
microsoft.public.security groups.

If you don't want to set up a newsreader, you may be able to access
the group through a browser using Google groups.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer