Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Image SPAM Increase?

From: Dave Koontz <dkoontz () MBC EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 18:04:47 -0400

While IP Based Black Lists are all pretty good,  IMO, the SBL/XBL list
from SpamHaus is the best and most accurate.  I would not take too much
stalk in SpamCop.  Right now SpamCop has several AOL servers listed.
They also have a history of listing major ISPs.

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=64.12.137.6
<http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=64.12.137.6>

(other AOL Server IPs currently listed on SC: 64.12.136.11 64.12.136.12
64.12.136.13 64.12.136.42 64.12.137.1 64.12.137.2 64.12.137.3
64.12.137.4 64.12.137.5 64.12.137.7 64.12.137.8 64.12.137.9 64.12.138.5 )

There is also 'different' types of  Black Lists that list URIs  /URLs of
known spammers.  Take a look at http://uribl.com/ (extremely low false
positive) and http://www.surbl.org/ (multi-service).  These services
return hits on the URLs found in most spam (ie..
http://pill-scammerDOTinfo).  This type of listing is very good at
catching Spam / Phish emails that run on botnets with ever changing IP
addresses.  This type of Black List will require a product like spam
assassin that can parse those URL's as part of it's filtering process
and return a value for it.

There is yet another HASH style blacklist that is very good called
IXHASH. (http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/iXhash).

As to the original question, njabl.org is actually pretty good.  Some
people seem to have hit or miss results from Five-Ten and SORBS, but
they have been pretty reliable for me with hardly any false positives.
Some indicate they have timeout issues with these services, but again I
have not seen that at my site.

As with all things, nothing in excess!  Do not "Block" any email because
they are listed on any one service, rather give it a positive score
value for being on the list.  If it's truly spam, it will be on multiple
lists and thus raise the score above your threshold.  The default or
suggested scoring values are usually good enough.

---
Dave Koontz
Mary Baldwin College
Staunton, VA

Lucas, Bryan wrote:
http://www.sdsc.edu/~jeff/spam/Blacklists_Compared.html

Depending on your mail volume, you may have to be selective how many
lookups your gateway does.  While the above link doesn't get into how
aggressive each RBL is, it can help you identify those that are
worthwhile.

IMHO, this combination, especially when used in conjunction with a multi
filtered product (ciphertrust, barracuda, Exchange IMF) produces
excellent results:
Spamhaus.org (sbl/xbl)
Cbl.abuseat.org
Dynablock.njabl.org
List.dsbl.org
Bl.spamcop.net
Cn-kr.blackholes.us (only use if you don't need to interact with .CN or
.KR)

I have had mixed results with SORBS, RFC-ignorant, PSBL Surriel, and
five-ten-sg.com.  They are a bit too aggressive for most businesses.

Bryan Lucas
Server Administrator
Texas Christian University
(817) 257-6971