Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blackboard and IE Patch

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:38:17 -0400

We've gone ahead with the patch, but this is the first I've heard of an issue
with Blackboard (those folks are in another department ;-)

Microsoft has somewhat bungled this one, but I still regard Blackboard's failure
to play nice with the patched IE a failure on their part -- Microsoft patches
are a feature of the landscape, and our network is where the patches need to be
applied as soon as released, even earlier if possible, as seen in recent months.

Perhaps they should code to be less reliant on Internet Explorer, hm?

--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
   www.calfrye.com, www.pitalabs.com, www.ouuf.org

  "Violence is the first refuge of the incompetent." --Issac Asimov.

Allen, Jon D. wrote:
I was just curious how other institutions that use Blackboard are
handling the recommendation by Blackboard not to apply the latest IE
patches.  Obviously with the package containing multiple patches
including critical security fixes it poses quite the dilemma.  On the
one hand patching could case major issues with a key academic system.
On the other hand not patching places systems at a risk of compromise.
Any philosophies or thoughts?

Thanks,

Jon Allen
Information Security Officer