Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Locally Administered servers

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:24:41 -0500

Well, we're slowly getting some control over that. Let's see, departments
running servers not under our control:
Conservatory, Economics, Art Museum, Art department, Physics, Computer Science,
Environmental Science, Development, Ticketing, Residential and Dining Services,
Facilities Management, Printing Services, Library... just a few.

Some of these folks work with us, others are highly distrustful of our help. Our
final security policy is that it's our network. Any system shown to be causing
problems on the network (infected, spamming, spewing, etc) gets its access
terminated. We may or may not be able to help clean up the mess.

--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
   www.calfrye.com, www.pitalabs.com, www.ouuf.org

  "Look at you in war...There has never been a just one, never an honorable one,
on the part of the instigator of the war." --Mark Twain.

Leo Tran wrote:
Does your University allow local departments to administer their own
servers?  Do you require them to sign any kind of release form?  Do you
have any specific security policy for them? Thank you for your help.

Leo Tran, CISSP

Tulane University –

Phone: 504.988.8514