Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Campus verses university hospital ACUP investigation authority

From: David Grisham <DGrisham () SALUD UNM EDU>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:30:04 -0700

We are revising our procedures for searching email, hard drives and
Internet traffic.  We feel that anything on our systems is "work
product" and owned by the hospital and can be searched accordingly for
investigative and work-related needs.

We previously had a combination of the campus ACUP that restricted
managers from searching for investigative purposes and the issue that
our managers are advocates for the hospital.  As such will investigate
for disciplinary action.
Does anyone have a similar policy in place?

Cheers. -grish
David D. Grisham, Ph.D., CISM, CHS, CHSP
Manager, IT Security, UNM Hospitals, Information Technology