Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Public Machine Access

From: Mark Rogowski <m.rogowski () UWINNIPEG CA>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:37:23 -0600

We use Deep Freeze from Faronics - works VERY well:

http://www.faronics.com/index.asp

Students can do anything they want to systems to polute them.  Once
rebooted, the system goes back to normal.  open lab systems have been
configured to automatically reboot after 30 minutes of non-use.  This
ensures that the machine is clean when someone needs it.  Students are
notified to save any and all work to network drives and not the local
system.

Patches are deployed when they are tested ok.  An 'unfreeze' period
occurs weekly and is automatic (e.g. every Tuesday morning at 3:00am
machines get unfrozen to accept any changes made to the system config).
The machines are configured to check for updates during this unfreeze
period and install them if they are there.  After a couple of hours, the
systems are told to reboot in a frozen state.

So far, its working for us....

hth,

Mark Rogowski
IT Security
Technology Solutions Centre
University of Winnipeg
Ph: (204) 786-9034

FlaggMD () HIRAM EDU 01/23/06 12:20 PM >>>
We are constantly fighting with out "lab" computers, we currently
allow
them admin privileges then rebuild the machine upon every reboot.
Dealing with Microsoft patches has been a nightmare.  We also have
laptops that we lend out and that causes another set of issues.

What tools are you using?

Any inexpensive tools available?

Martin D. Flagg
Network Engineer/Administrator
Hiram College
-
When you want nothing you are seldom lacking.