Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Incident Response / Investigations / Digital Forensics strategy

From: Brad Judy <judy () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 15:18:47 -0700

I'll also agree that one must either have both an in-house and an
external ability to analyze compromised systems, or have all systems
analyzed by a third-party.  You will definitely have situations which
require the expertise, impartiality, or certifications of a third party.
In particular, if you have an incident with a system that processes
credit cards, you will likely need (or at least want) to involve a third
party who is proficient (and probably certified) on PCI compliance
issues.  Depending on the situation, there may be very specific
requirements from the associated bank.  As mentioned, in any
high-profile cases, or cases where a conflict of interest might exist
(i.e. those involved in system administration would be involved in
forensics), you would want to use a third party in order to preserve
integrity.

I'm concerned about your note of examining essentially all virus/worm
incidents with full forensics.  While business critical systems or
systems with sensitive data may warrant this level of investigation,
most won't.  If a typical desktop system that contains no sensitive data
is infected with a known virus/worm, you can assume any accounts used on
the system have had their passwords compromised and that the system
itself needs to be rebuilt.  Password changes, checks of audit logs on
potentially compromised accounts, and a system rebuild should be
adequate without forensic investigation.

Given these two points, that generally leaves lesser hacks as the only
items for in-house investigation: significant cases go to third parties
(IT security firms, law enforcement) and minor ones don't need
forensics.  While there are some cases of escalation (i.e. in-house
investigation unveils the need for third-party investigation), hopefully
the first questions asked before you start investigating are:

What data is on this system?  (certain data types triggers immediate
escalation)
How critical is the role of this system? (life/safety systems likely
require different procedures)
Where was attacking traffic coming from? (certain sources might dictate
immediate involvement of law enforcement agencies)

This usually just leaves escalation due to 'surprise data' (everyone's
favorite thing) that no one remembered was on the system (e.g. an old
database), or that the attacker placed on the system (i.e. criminal
content).

No matter what path you choose, having a good, documented incident
response process is very important.

Brad Judy

Information Technology Services
University of Colorado at Boulder