Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: URL switching in e-mails

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 08:58:59 -0500

And that's when, as a customer, I emailed my bank and told them they were
violating the rules we were advising our users to follow in deleting phishing
messages. I noticed that my bank has since corrected its messages, and the links
do indeed point to bank.com ;-) Maybe one-by-one we'll get them to understand.

--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
   www.calfrye.com, www.pitalabs.com, www.ouuf.org

  "We can have concentrated wealth in the hands of a few, or we can have
democracy, but we cannot have both." -- Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis.

Valdis Kletnieks wrote:
Of course, it's not perfect - lots of banks outsource much of their IT,
with the end result that the URL for the "real" bank is 'www.foo-bank.com',
but the actual targets are 'foo-bank-hosting.serverfarm.com' or similar, at
which point you have to figure out if 'serverfarm.com' is a "real" outsource
or a fake one....