Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Tools for creating online training materials

From: "Falcon, Patricia" <Patricia_Falcon () BROWN EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 11:23:49 -0500

When posting this on the SEC-EDUC listserv it was suggested that
I cast a wider net by posting here as well (for those on both lists,
excuse the redundancy).  I've already gotten some SW suggestions
(Security Awareness's WebStart and FunEducation's Trainersoft 8),
but would be happy to hear more ideas or words of wisdom (or warning).

We are researching various online training tools to train staff training
on the proper handling of confidential information (personal, financial,
regulated, etc.), among other security awareness topics.  We began by
identifying key requirements, which would include:

1. The training tool should be able to handle multi-media objects
(videos, flash, slides, audio, etc.).
2. It should include an online quiz (questions probably interspersed
with teaching elements), with feedback for each answer. If a user fails
quiz, the tool should allow the user to retake it until the quiz is
successfully completed.
3. The training tool should have a tracking ability, with a login
function (accessible only to an approved list of users) and the ability
to provide list of those who have taken the quiz (and whether successful
or not).
4. The tool should scale well to Brown's environment.
5. Ideally, the tool should provide the flexibility to allow for Brown
branding and customization to meet current and future needs.
6. As this will have high visibility, the resulting product should have
a very professional look to it.

Before making any purchases, we're looking at existing in-house SW and
resources,  Since we use WebCT at Brown and would be interested in
learning what successes (or stumbling blocks) you've had using WebCT (or
Blackboard) for security awareness training.

Alternately, are others using pre-packaged training programs, whether
out-of-the-box or a local customization?

We've also had a recommendation for Multimedia Plus
(http://www.multimedia-plus.com/index02.html).  On the inexpensive side,
I ran across Getronics (https://gsuonline.com/main.htm).  They have an
extensive course catalog.  Features include quizzes, scoring (with
feedback for the user), ability to track students, reporting tools, and
customization.  Is anyone familiar with either?

Thanks!

Pat Falcon
IT Security Policy and Communication Coordinator
Computing and Information Services
Brown University :: Box 1885 :: Providence RI 02912
401.863.9259 :: 401.863.7329 [fax]