Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Details of New York Data Breach Bill?

From: "Cuocco, Patricia" <Pcuocco () CALSTATE EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 08:54:43 -0800

The California State University has 23 campuses - several of which have
experienced data breaches since our law went into effect.  We have had
as many as 200,000 names and SSNs compromised and as few as 157.  I
personally handled one that was 23,500 names.

The impact has been to cause us to think seriously about how to protect
against breaches.  We've also learned that many of the vulnerabilities
occur in places or departments over which the CIO has little control.
Our CIO group is discussing how best to address these vulnerabilities.

Don't know what else I can tell you except that knowing ahead of time
how you will respond is critical.  A campus strategy that includes
Public Affairs and press relations is essential.

Patricia