Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: duress ATM codes

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 12:25:48 -0500

Just like biometrics -- there's a good idea in there, but I never want to be in
the position where my eyeball is valuable to someone else before I'm done using
it myself...

If the duress PIN merely alerted the bank to a problem, silently, it might not
be such a risk to implement.

--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
   www.calfrye.com, www.pitalabs.com, www.ouuf.org

  "Some things supposed to last the rest of my life are already wearing out." --
Ashleigh Brilliant (c) 1981.

Steve Worona wrote:
Better keep this real quiet so the bad guys don't find out. Cuz if they knew the secret, they say, "OK, sucker, be
sure to enter the right PIN. If the machine says you ain't got no money, I'm gonna blow your head off."

So...shhhhhhhh!

Steve