Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Internal Security Breach Costs

From: "Youngquist, Jason R." <jryoungquist () CCIS EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:05:06 -0600

Speaking of internal security breach costs, what methods are people
using to try and reduce the threat of an insider or a former employee
using confidential information for malicious purposes/monetary gain?

Here's a few ideas I have come up with, but I don't know how useful they
are as a deterrent.  Perform background checks on potential employees

                        *       Have a security policy that
faculty/staff has to read
                        *       Security awareness training
                        *       Employee monitoring - ie letting
employees know that they can and may be monitored.

Also, this list doesn't take into consideration former employees who
while employed had access to confidential information and could have a
copy of the data stored at their house.

Thanks.

Jason Youngquist