Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Awareness Week or Month

From: Rodney Petersen <rpetersen () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:17:34 -0600

Several people have accurately referenced the fact that the
EDUCAUSE/Internet2 Security Task Force is putting its support behind the
designation of October as National Cyber Security Awareness Month
(NCSAM).   There have been several attempts to establish national
awareness days in the past, but the NCSAM effort that is being
coordinated by the National Cyber Security Alliance
(www.StaySafeOnline.info) is the one with the most momentum and broadest
reach.  It includes participation from government, industry, and
academia.  Although we will encourage campuses to promote events and
awareness messages during the month of October, we recognize that
institutions will continue to pursue security awareness programming in a
manner that is convenient and consistent with their local needs.

We will be sending more details regarding the initiatives of the
Security Task Force for October and information about how you can
participate in the next few weeks.

-Rodney Petersen

Rodney J. Petersen
Policy Analyst & Security Task Force Coordinator

EDUCAUSE
1150 18th Street, N.W., Suite 1010
Washington, D.C.  20036
(202) 331-5368 / (202) 872-4200