Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking port 25 outbound

From: Michael Grinnell <grinnell () AMERICAN EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:03:17 -0400

We have. Keep in mind it's not a panacea, but it does help with the outbound spam volume. Make sure you publicize it a lot before doing so. Once you do this, you still need to check who's sending large volumes of mail through your mailserver, as some spam bots are smart enough to find it and use it. Also, it helps to set up SMTP AUTH first. That way, your users can set their email programs to always use your outbound mail server, and they won't have to keep changing their outbound mail server when they move on and off campus.

Michael Grinnell
Network Security Administrator
The American University
e-mail: grinnell () american edu