Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Perimeter Firewalls

From: "Russell, Wesley (NIH/NLM)" <russellwes () NLM NIH GOV>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:22:46 -0400

We are wondering, which firewall solutions I2 organizations are using at
their perimeters?

More specifically, we have a requirement to support jumbo frames and
multicast at gigabit speeds through our perimeter. We want it to run at
layer 3. So the firewall needs to support multicast at layer 3, not just
pass multicast at layer 2. We are aware of the Lucent and NetScreen
products, and want to see if anyone has experience using these or other
firewalls that meet the requirements above.

Thanks for any help.

Wesley Russell
Head, Network Engineering Section, OCCS
National Library of Medicine, NIH