Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Problem solved with Barracuda Spam Filter

From: "Flagg, Martin D." <FlaggMD () HIRAM EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:53:32 -0400

I earlier posted a problem with our Barracuda suddenly blocking "good"
email address's.  It now appears a strange issue of us blacklisting
ourselves.  We followed all of Barracuda's recommended setting which
includes sending bounce messages and using the "sbl" database.  The
problem is that the "sbl" database will add you in as a spammer if you
follow Barracuda defaults. I have included text from the
http://www.spamhaus.org that hosts the "sbl" database. I should have
know better, but Barracuda should not recommend a setup that is
inherently flawed.  Jamie A. Stapleton
[jstapleton () computer-business com] from this list helped solve the
problem, no charge and I didn't even buy it from him.  Thanks Jamie.

SpamHaus Message

 10.10.10.10/32 is listed on the Spamhaus Block List (SBL)

17-May-2005 22:40 GMT | SR08

Barracuda Firewall bouncing spam to forged sender addresses

When a message is identified as spam, in most cases the sender
information will have been forged. This means that all that can be
achieved by returning the rejected mail to that forged sender, is to
annoy an innocent third party. Sending that mail back is in itself spam,
because it was unsolicited by the person you sent it to.

To have this listing removed from the SBL, xxxx will need to correct the
configuration on their mailserver so that it discards mail that they
have identified as spam, instead of bouncing it. More information can be
obtained by following the link at the bottom of this page.

Martin D. Flagg
Network Engineer/Administrator
Hiram College
PH:  330-569-5376