Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Justification

From: "Alt, Brandon C." <altb () EDUCATIONCENTRAL ORG>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:48:02 -0400

Sorry for the crossposting, but I think I can get some valuable input
from both lists.

I realize that I'm not in the higher education bracket, however, my
district (K-12) is coming under budget wars and I'm trying to gather my
information for the justification of our (small) security group.
Currently we have about 165,000 users (teachers, staff, and students)
and our security group consists of 2 techs and myself. We support 168
locations (schools and admin buildings). We have federal regulations
(COPPA, HIPPA, FISMA, etc) that we must maintain compliance with. Anyone
able to help me with providing a justification for our existence to a
very non-technological school board? Any help will be GREATLY
appreciated.

Thanks to all.

Brandon Alt

Information Security Manager