Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security of Windows fingerprint reader

From: "Hart, Mark Smylie" <mshart () UIUC EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 14:37:06 -0500

That's right - there are some devices out there that are TRUE biometric
devices...this is not one of them.

The Microsoft Fingerprint Scanner is essentially a mechanism for storing
macros that will enter a username and password for you.

To my knowledge, there is no true encryption enabled with this device
and Microsoft actually recommends that you NOT use it in a 'sensitive
data' scenario.

"The Fingerprint Reader should not be used for protecting sensitive data
such as financial information or for accessing corporate networks."

While this is a potentially useful tool, the faith that an average
end-user may place in this technology may cause more problems in the
long run than it fixes.

That said, you're probably not going to be able to buy a piece of
hardware that can maintain a password list for you AND provide
encryption at a sub-$50 price point.  There are other devices out there
that will do that, but they cost real money.  Then again, they're less
likely to be fooled by a gummy bear or a bag of water like people have
claimed is possible.

I'll go ahead and climb off the soap box for now.

Mark Smylie Hart
Network Security Officer
T - 217.333.4676
E - mshart () uiuc edu

-----------------------------[PGP KEY INFO]-----------------------------
bits/keyid                                                1024D/E73BD405
fingerprint            95E0 4BE2 C958 51ED 48C4 A2BD FDB5 E188 E73B D405

Ken Shaurette wrote:
Some of these integrated devices such as for laptops allow replacement or setting up security such as the fingerprint
is necessary for BIOS startup.  Some of these devices along with software provide encryption of files on the hard
drive.

As Mark points out in general most of the solutions only provide local replacement of passwords to access the laptop.
 In many cases they do not prevent someone from pulling the hard drive on a stolen or lost laptop and putting it in a
similar device or in a standalone hard drive shell in order to access the data on it.  I have not tested whether data
encrypted by a fingerprint solution in that case will remain safe, but I assume how safe would be dependent on the
solution.

A solution such as Utimaco's encryption that allows complete HD encryption becomes a very secure way to go when
protecting the data, but again as Mark points out key management is critical, passwords under the keyboard still
eliminate the value of any solution dependent on them.  Losing the passwords is another side problem with that.

Educated and competent users, along with multiple layers of security still is about the only way to adequately reduce
the risk.   How much security is enough?  Anyone could make a million dollars if they had the right answer to that
question or to the question;  What is reasonable?

Ken

Ken M. Shaurette, CISSP, CISA, CISM
Information Security Solutions Manager
MPC Security Solutions Group, www.mpcscorp.com
(262) 523-3300 x60486

October is CyberSecurity Month - Awareness does not end when the day is done!!