Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Library Workstation Authentication

From: Michael Matis <MMatis () UAMAIL ALBANY EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 16:44:39 -0400

My library is currently researching procedures for authentication of our
public workstation users. One issue we are struggling with is what do we do
about guests who wish to use our library workstations? We would like to
avoid the situation were a guest needs to present photo ID just to check
whether that library has a certain book. We have looked into the idea of
using kiosks that only allow access to the online public access catalog
(OPAC). The thought is that we can disable hyperlinks from the OPAC. The
problem with this option is how do we allow access to government documents
that are only available via the Web?

Any best practices from a library that is authenticating use of its
workstations would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Michael

*****