Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Letter of Confidentiality

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 16:13:19 -0400

On Fri, 20 May 2005 15:53:11 EDT, "Gibbs, Aaron M." said:

Does anyone have a letter of confidentiality that is provided to a vendor?
I'm in the process of soliciting bids from a vendor that will digitize older
student records and want to make certain before I move forward the college has
its interests protected. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

I'd be most surprised if your college doesn't already have a legal counsel on
staff, or at least on retainer, and that said counsel doesn't already have
boilerplate to cover this - this is surely not the first time you've had to
share sensitive data with outside contractors?

(You really want a full time professional lawyer to write up for you, rather than
what the IANAL crowd on this list will suggest.. ;)