Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Issues with Skype

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 05:47:23 -0500

[What I've seen sounded like] Your computer may be called-upon to
serve the 'cloud' as a call manager, depending on which stations
you're near, know, etc.

So, your campus-to-campus Skype call may be being setup/managed by
some cablemodem home user's computer.

Not sure if the protocol is bulletproof (since so many are ;-), so I'd
want to consider the issues that might arise from an unknown
third-party being potentially in-posession/control over your voice calls.

But, folks sure seem to like Skype.

Tim Lane wrote:
Hi,

just wondered if anyone has looked into and identified any Skype VoIP
security issues, from the P2P perspective as opposed to voice security
perspective.  My understanding is this software is provided by the same
makers as Kazaa, and that the EULA is particularly broad in its context
to authorising third parties to connect to your computer.

If anyone has any experience or thoughts with Skype it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

Discussion Group discussion list can be found at
http://www.educause.edu/groups/.