Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Data on sensitive computers

From: "Schmidt, Eric W" <erschmid () IUPUI EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 08:53:55 -0500

I forwarded this email to one of our Network and Security Managers who's
been heavily involved in deploying EFS throughout his department.  I
asked him what he thought of this email exchange and his thoughts on
EFS.  Here's his response:
-----------------
I was at a SANS training class and the person (he was extremely
knowledgeable...worked in the military with hands on computer security
and encryption for years) who was the trainer thought EFS was very
secure when used and deployed correctly.

From what I have read the encryption process itself is not weak (256-bit
AES for XP), but there are some "features" that Microsoft adds for
recovery that can be exploited. For instance, there are some "features"
with stand-alone systems that can be exploited, but domain member
systems are more resistant to those exploits (with best practices
applied).

A 3rd party encryption method could be worth exploring and EFS
represents something we can use now for "free". There are also best
practices to EFS deployment that mitigate some of the known EFS exploits
(which may be what that software is doing).

ERIC W. SCHMIDT, CISSP, CISM
Chief Security Officer
Indiana University School of Medicine
Office:  317-278-8751