Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

EndNote and Firewall Access

From: Tim Lane <tlane () SCU EDU AU>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 15:44:50 +1000

Hi All,

we are having an issue with access to EndNote from a certain student area
in our network.  This particular student area  requires all students to
authenticate through our proxy before they gain Internet access.  The
problem is with this is that Endnote access appears not to work through
proxy servers that require authentication.  Other areas of our network are
able to gain access to Endnote because they are not authenticating through
a proxy for Endnote traffic.

The only alternative we have identified is to allow a wide range of ports
through our firewall (as Endnote ports seem to vary significantly), and to
allow students to bypass proxy authentication for this port range.

Our concern with this is that this wide range of ports may position us for
potential exploits or virus attacks, which we would otherwise be less
susceptible to.

Does anyone have a recommendation or suggestion on an alternative to
opening the firewall up?

Thanks in advance,

Tim Lane

Tim Lane
Information Security Program Manager

Information Technology and Telecommunication Services
Southern Cross University
PO Box 157 Lismore NSW 2480

Ph:  61 2 6620 3290
Fax: 61 2 6620 3033