Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Peer to Peer Blocking

From: "Scholz, Greg" <gscholz () KEENE EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 11:31:19 -0500

We are about to start using our PacketShaper to redirect traffic based
on the IP of the systems reported as having the suspect downloaded
files.  We will redirect all the users web traffic to a warning banner
that states why they are receiving this "banner" and what to do to fix
it.  We do use DHCP but our lease time is a week and we find that most
students maintain their same IPs almost indefinitely.

The user will be required to come to the help desk and sign a document
that they are aware that downloading copyrighted files/music/software
etc is illegal and affirming they have removed all the files from their
system.  The intent is that we will restore their normal access once
they sign the document.

Our policy will include a "3 strikes" rule where on the 3rd occurrence,
we will not restore their access until the student has met with our
Student Affairs dispute resolution coordinator and they request us to
turn the access back on.

Thank you,

Gregory R. Scholz

Lead Network Engineer