Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: NESSUS

From: Phillip G Deneault <deneault () WPI EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:18:53 -0500

A similar setup in a prepacked form can be found here:
http://vsc-dev.itsp.purdue.edu/

Purdue did away with their ISS scanner in favor of this solution.  It
works very well.  I'm hoping to upgrade to this version this summer.

Phil

Matthew Keller wrote:
We use an SSI cluster (OpenMosix/Linux) to handle a number of network-
wide monitoring/crawling/scanning tasks. Nessus itself isn't very
clusterable as-is, so we run identical Nessus servers on the cluster
nodes, and a control application we developed using the Perl Net::Nessus
module handles connecting to the cluster nodes, and subdividing the
network into smaller pieces for each node to work at. When a node is
done with its piece, it gets another piece- Kind of like how SETI@Home
works, if you've used it. Results are placed in a SQL database by the
control application.