Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

IPv6 Tunnels

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:49:18 -0500

This is a new issue for me that I've just started
looking at and I thought I'd poll to see if anyone
has researched the associated risks and/or found
good ways to address it.

A student run unix server has been set up as an
IPv6 tunnel for academic experimentation and learning.
I'm worried about IPv6 tunnels inadvertently
bypassing border access controls.

Anyone tackled this problem yet? Policy? Technology?
Setting up a tunnel at the border for the entire
campus?

http://documents.iss.net/whitepapers/IPv6.pdf
http://www.giac.org/practical/GSEC/Louis_Labelle_GSEC.pdf
http://tunnelbroker.net/