Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Personal firewall Policies - Tangent to Default Deny

From: Joe St Sauver <JOE () OREGON UOREGON EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:55:07 -0800

Hi Jim,

#Sometimes other things limit my participation in this list, has there been
#discussion, war stories, or documentation on recommended settings for
#personal firewalls?

Many of the personal firewalls/broadband "routers" in common use have
fairly limited configurability, which some may consider a feature rather
than a shortcoming. :-)

However, if I had to pick one issue to flag in that space, it would be the
use of UPnP in conjunction with some personal firewalls/broadband routers;
I've got a page that describes this particular issue at
http://cc.uoregon.edu/cnews/spring2003/upnp.html

Regards,

Joe