Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: preventing spyware

From: "Steele, John E." <moonowl () BF UMICH EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:03:35 -0500

Steve,

I've been working on prevention (as well as removal) of spyware at
the desk top level here and MAIS (Michigan Administrative and
Information Services, University of Michigan).

Recapturing the lost time cycles, both on the part of the end user
as well as on our technical team is an efficiency increase worth
the investment.

Three factors result in over 99% of all spyware infections:

1. Administrative Rights on local machines
2. Not blocking popups
3. Lack of user education

Our approach has been three fold so far:

1. By reviewing the need for administrative rights on user
   computers, we've reduced the number of end users with
   those rights with a dramatic reduction in spyware infections.
   Those folks who need to install software from time to time are
   issued a second account which admin rights. Their main account
   is a user rights account.

2. By installing XPSP2 and blocking popups we've further reduced
   spontaneous installations of spyware. (For systems without XP,
   I'd suggest the Google Toolbar, which also prevents popups
   (http://toolbar.google.com ))

3. By presenting information about the most common spyware programs
   as well as by informing our users about the risks of installing
   non-business related software, those users that do retain their
   administrative rights (users limited to those running programs
   that need to start/stop services), we've further reduced the
   number of infections.

These three policies are low cost, require minimal support to maintain,
and result in very few spyware infections (less then 1 per month/500
machines).

Please let us know what your group ends up doing and how well it works.

Thank you,
John E. Steele
Network Support
Michigan Administrative and Information Services
734-647-8979 (phone)
734-368-4835 (Nextel)
moonowl () umich edu