Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Just a question about the state of antivirus technology

From: Barbara Griffith <Barbara.Griffith () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 13:04:36 -0600

I'm confused about the heuristic setting in various antivirus products. We used to set it high, and never had any
complaints. But now I'm hearing from some experts that heuristic technology is no longer considered to be very
effective, and may cause a performance hit. I went online and got even more confused. Many sites still mention and even
recommend it.

Any advice for the perplexed would be welcome.

at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.