Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Issues regarding an e-forms routing/management system[Message Scanned]

From: Harold A'Hole <madman () MYEASTSIDE COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:55:23 -0800

Ben,

The other posting was most likely correct.  If the docs are just for internal authorization, you can probably find that
a secure login will be enough if you provide some sort of "I Agree" button that the person presses when they want to
sign.  Some people will even have them re-enter a password, but that's just for people who are worried others will get
access while the person is already logged in, a problem that has always existed.

For contract law, you will need to use something more robust.  These include various disclosures, the creation of
digital signatures or other techniques to be able to prove that you have an original electronic version, and you need
to ensure all parties involved get a copy of the signed electronic version.  This has more to do with standard contract
law coupled with the U.S. E-Sign Act.

Yozons offers such technology, and they have several other education clients already.  You can easily use the process
you have and/or integrate some new web-based forms for signing legally.  But if this is just for authorization within
the school, then you don't really need a legal contract as much as a good sense that the authorized party has indeed
authorized a form.

Harry