Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: EZproxy installation and firewall configuration

From: Matthew Keller <kellermg () POTSDAM EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 21:22:50 -0500

We've used EZproxy for years now. If you firewall admins and/or your
firewall software are flexible people/software, you can just open up
those ports to JUST the EZproxy server, and not to your whole network.
Additionally there is a "proxy by name" mechanism in EZproxy
(http://usefulutilities.com/support/cfg/proxybyhostname.html) that
allows you to use one port (even port 80, if you'd like), and a special
wildcard DNS configuration. Your DNS admins will likely wig out when
they see it because it FEELS dirty, but it really is safe if you sit
down and logically lay it out. I'm happy to talk to your firwall and/or
DNS admins off-list if they have technical questions.