Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Rogue FTP Servers

From: Todd Clementz <clementz.7 () OSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 15:25:09 -0500

We had the same types of issues at our School before we put the firewall in.
Professors would open infected email and with the network shares we have it
didn't take long to get around.  Once we put the firewall in and blocked
everything by default then started opening ports up we were able to
eliminate the problem.  In order to use FTP access we used FTP clients that
when you open them up in passive mode you the client would be able to pick a
port and run without using the normal FTP port.

Todd Clementz
Systems Administrator
Knowlton School of Architecture
The Ohio State University