Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: authenticated "from" email address

From: "Christopher E. Cramer" <chris.cramer () DUKE EDU>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 14:51:41 -0500

spf might give you some of what you are looking for - at least in
conjunction w/ authenticated smtp.  what you can do is to specify the
machine(s) or ip ranges which are authorized to send mail as being from
your domain.  then for any mail that is received by your (and many
others') domain, there will be a check to see if the message originated
from an authorized ip.

now, spf still has a few issues and it certainly won't prevent spam, but
it might be worth checking out if you are trying to prevent forging of
your domain name (http://spf.pobox.com/).

-c