Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

FW: MS Critical Updates and client management

From: Chad McDonald <chad.mcdonald () GCSU EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:02:33 -0400

My thoughts are that if the potential for exploitation of a particular
vulnerability are severe enough, then the 1-2 day lag that you discuss in
item #2 is about 2 days to long.  I am a big proponent of testing, but
barring your enterprise servers, I think that the risk of someone taking
advantage of a freshly advertised hole far outweighs the likelihood of a
patch or update breaking a desktop application or causing data loss.  I tend
to agree with you on item #1, understanding that that this does not
represent critical updates.

Thanks,

Chad McDonald, CISSP

Director of Campus Computer Support Services

Georgia College & State University

Phone   478.445.4473

Fax       478.445.1202

Email    chad.mcdonald () gcsu edu