Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls and Research

From: Jere Retzer <retzerj () OHSU EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:17:29 -0700

We've had one for several years. Firewalls cause problems without
question, but they can be addressed. I'm not aware of any negative
impact on our ability to obtain a grant. Conversely, ensuring the
security and privacy of patient information is an important
consideration for research that requires access to this sensitive data.

slade () UTK EDU 9/29/2004 8:54:07 AM >>>
Hi all,
        I would like to get a feel for how many .edu facilities
currently
have firewalls at their border.  If you have a firewall at your border,
how
has it affected your scientists and researchers ability to do research
and
obtain funding?  Thanks in advance.

Slade Griffin
ISO