Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IRC, IM Proxy Implementations - Cornell

From: Daniel Adinolfi <dra1 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 11:19:43 -0400

Usually after sending in a notice I will see that the problem was fixed
a few days later, but I'll never get a responce back.  I know the
reason
for that here: complaints are bounced around between departments until
they get to the person in charge of the offending machine, but by then
the original contact has usually been removed.

maybe someone can poke cornell?

(%:~)- host 128.253.153.155

All,

FYI, we at Cornell are working very hard to squash down IRC bots and
Command and Control servers in the last few weeks.  We have knocked off
two C&C systems in the last few days, and have knocked off over 100
bots on our ResNet since Friday (with many more to be done today).  The
bot listed above was caught but not cleaned properly.  It has since
been re-blocked.

Right now, the identification process involves NetFlow analysis mixed
with some nmap scans.  In the next few weeks, we will have QRadar up
and running, which will help us identify suspicious IRC traffic (on all
ports) and other indications of compromise (like rogue FTP servers on
weird ports).

If anyone has IP addresses that are in the Cornell IP space that are
either bots or C&C servers, please send the IP and any supporting data
you have to <security () cornell edu>.

Thanks.

-Dan