Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Response to WinXP SP2

From: Ariel Silverstone <ariel.silverstone () TEMPLE EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:10:25 -0400

Colleagues,

I have included below Temple's email to all Staff and Faculty regarding SP2.
The message is quite lengthy, but I hope it may help some see how others
handle it.  We debated it for over a month, and yesterday, thanks to Randy
P's call with MS, we decided to proceed.  I would love to hear comments (in
private).

Thank you,

Ariel Silverstone, CISSP
Chief Information Security Officer
Temple University

The message:

A message from Ariel Silverstone, Chief Information Security Officer:

As I communicated to you in my message last week, Microsoft is now releasing
a major, comprehensive update to its Windows XP operating system. If your
computer is not running Windows XP, you can safely ignore the rest of this
message.

The update, called Service Pack 2 (SP2), is designed to patch and repair
numerous gaps in Windows XP.  It includes safeguards against viruses and
spyware, and also includes a hardened Internet firewall to keep out hackers.

After weeks of testing by Computer Services, we have found that in most
cases people have not experienced any difficulties; however, in some cases,
some operational issues were noted.
Consequently, there is no ideal solution at this time.  If you do not
install SP2, you will not be as protected as Microsoft recommends; on the
other hand, if you install SP2, some operational issues may develop.

For example, one of the consistent issues we have discovered in our testing
is that the default setting of SP2 configures the Windows XP firewall in
such a way that new virus definitions coming from our antivirus servers are
blocked, and cannot get to your computer. This will leave your computer
vulnerable to virus attacks in the future.  To respond to this consequence,
Symantec requires that you configure the Windows XP firewall to allow access
from your computer to Symantec's antivirus update servers.

With this in mind, here are our recommendations for Windows XP users
connected to the Temple Network.  These recommendations do NOT apply to home
users, as the Symantec antivirus home version is not affected by this issue:

1.  Before you do anything else, consider backing up your important files as
a precaution.

2.  You must configure your firewall to allow communications with Symantec's
antivirus servers.  This should be done as soon as possible.

You can configure your firewall manually, but the steps involved are many
and complex.  To facilitate this, Computer Services has developed an
easy-to-use, one-step utility that will properly configure your computer.

If you are using any version of Windows XP, you should run this utility now
in order to keep your antivirus definitions current.
For instructions on downloading and running this utility, go to:

http://xxx.edu

3.  Depending on your computer's current configuration, there are two
possible scenarios:

a)  If your computer is configured to receive and install Windows updates
automatically, SP2 will be installed on your computer without any further
action from you.  You should let this update install automatically. Because
the update file is very large, Microsoft will randomly select which
computers are to receive the download. Your computer will receive SP2 at
some point over the next few months, but it could occur as early as today.

b)  If your computer notifies you of available updates, but does not install
them automatically, or your computer is not configured to receive Windows
updates automatically, we recommend that you do not install SP2 at this
time.  Please wait for a few weeks for Computer Services to forward
directions on how and when to install this update.

Not only is SP2 a major change to your operating system, Microsoft has
scheduled it at our busiest time of the year.
Except for those users who already have automatic windows update, waiting
for a few weeks before attempting to install SP2 will enable Computer
Services to assist you in a more timely and efficient manner should you
encounter any difficulties.

If you have questions, at any time, please contact the Help Desk during
business hours at 215-xxx-yyyy or send e-mail to xyz () temple edu.