Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Help with buying domain name through escrow.com

From: Jeni Li <jeni.li () ASU EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 00:47:21 -0700

Tim, as far as validating the owner, I would compare the email address with the whois record for the domain. If the
administrative contact is a different email address, you might ask the seller to reply to an email message that you
will send to the email contact of record (the administrative contact).

As to escrow.com, I have no personal experience with it, but do know that it's a legitimate escrow service and a common
tool for payment of domain transfers. A good friend of mine has used it for this purpose and for many other
transactions, and remains quite pleased with it. The basic principle is that the seller does not receive the money
until the buyer indicates his/her satisfaction with the completed transaction. The process is described on their FAQ
page at https://www.escrow.com/solutions/escrow/process.asp

Hope this helps a little. If you know Allan Ellis there at SCU, please say hello for me.

Kind regards,
Jeni Li
Web/Unix Systems Administrator
Arizona State University, Polytechnic Campus