Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Cost!

From: "Murphy, James" <JCMurphy () UNCH UNC EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:31:25 -0400

Does anyone have any current or recent documentation on the cost of the
*lack* of adequate information security, or pointers to papers that describe
the cost?  I'm especially looking for the negative costs - down time or idle
time (equating to lost work time), lost data/information, bad press or
reputation damage, etc.  I know that some of these are difficult to specify
an exact dollar amount, but I am trying to get some general ideas.  I will
certainly be scanning websites - SANS, CERT, etc., but I would not be
surprised that this community has tons of resources at its collective
fingertips!

Thanks in advance,

Jim

James C. Murphy, MSIS, CISSP, GSEC