Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Checking for AV software on students' machines

From: Brian Kaye <bdk () UNB CA>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:10:16 -0300

We have been regiereing "most" computers centrally now since about 1996.
All IP addresses are statically assigned to a MAC address. We implemented
the system as we were coverting from a building/ department based  subnet
network to function based networks (staff student, resnet etc) and
converting to 100Mbps to the desktop. Unregistered computers are dropped
into a "default" vlan. Their first access to a web page gets redirected to
a registration page. They have to enter their university id and PIN. Then
the AUP is displayed and we pick up their MAC address and assign an IP
address on the network to which they are entitled.  The magic behind the
scenes configures all the switches involved. We ask them to reboot to get
the new adddress assigned (not really necessary but it makes everyone
comfortable). One advantage is that the machines are totally mobile and we
do not have to get involved in office changes or any other sort of a
change.

We have been talking about doing some scanning in this process but have
not got around to it (staff changes have left us short of labour). As
part of normal operations we do detect machines doing "bad things". These
machines are manually dropped into the "bad boys and girls VLAN"  which
cannot go anywhere off campus. When sanitized the machine is put bach into
their normal network.

As for flack about requing central registration of machines we still have
a couple of "reluctant" departments who thing they are different but for
the most part its been a great success. We get people on resnet in a
matter of minutes instead of weeks. The same is true for other new
machines. It also makes our conferencing folks real happy when they can
easily have people in conferences use the network.

......Brian Kaye
......University of New Brunswick